Monday, September 24, 2007

Pen Pals

Got a letter from my pen pal Derek Jeter today. Some of you might not know this but I was also played baseball at Nease High School. Derek and I met when I was in the 8th grade and attended an Yankees baseball camp in Tampa prior to spring training. We became pen pals and have been writing letters ever since. Yes we write letters. Real letters. I don't think that Derek knows how to use the internet or email. I know he's been playing for the Yankees for about 15 years and maybe the internet wasn't around back then, but you'd think he'd figure it out by now. Either that or he just likes to write letters. I can see why - he's got beautiful penmanship, almost like calligraphy (see that autograph).

So Derek Jeter and I exchange letters. Mostly I ask him for leadership advice and how to handle all the pressure. I'd say he's pretty qualified leading the New York Yankees to 4 World Series titles. I wasn't expecting a letter from him now since the Yankees are coming down the stretch and they've almost caught the Red Sox for the division lead. It's nice to get a letter when obviously this is the most important time of the baseball season. And that's exactly the reason he wrote, because we are about to enter the most important stretch of the SEC season with Auburn, LSU, Kentucky and Georgia all coming up. So Derek thought it was a good time to send me some words of encouragement and stress what makes a good leader. Here's the last part of the letter:

Remember that you are playing for one of the most storied and special football programs in the country. And that no matter how rabid the fans, and how crazy their expectations are, nothing compares to what you expect from yourself. As far as your teammates are concerned, nothing speaks louder to them than actions. Actions in the weight room, in team meetings and most of all on the field. Showing a passion for the game and a never say die mentality is what great leaders are made of. These are the qualities a person just can't fake (but Alex always tries!) Good thing for you, you've already got them all.

Best wishes,
Derek

P.S. Hope you enjoy the enclosed bottle of my cologne Driven. To be a champion, you should smell like a champion.


Now that is some pretty solid advice. It's great to see what makes Derek tick. He's truly the heart and soul of the Yankees and it's so cool that I can call him a friend.
4 World Series Rings and 4 Girls. The guy is doing something right.


No comments: